Re: Changing Yelp to use GtkHtml1 instead of GtkHtml2

sön 2002-05-05 klockan 18.58 skrev Sander Vesik:

> I need CSS for the things I am doing (or rather, the way I am and want to
> do them), which is not the same thing as saying that "we" need CSS.

Thanks for the answer.

> I want to use CSS to specify all appearance related parts beacuse:
>
> 	* it will allow me to get a result which will give me acceptable
> 	  results on any css supporting viewer with minimal additional
> 	  overhead
>
> 	* all of style will be concentrated in one place making things
> 	  like branding related style changes very easy and efficent and
> 	  docbook to html transformation and style can be kept separate
>
> 	* it makes it  possible to meaningfully act on and interpret
> 	  things like "the spacing between the header and following text
> 	  is two large, make it half as wide"
>
> 	* while not needed by anything i do presently, in principle,
> 	  special rendering needs (whtever for accessbility or some other
> 	  reason) can be solved by just specifiying a second overlay
> 	  stylesheet
>
> Changing to doing this part in some other way is of course possible (at an
> exterme, it is possible to just run a second, style-applying transform on
> the html). But i'm not particularily thrilled by the idea.

I can clearly see the benefits of CSS, the thing I'm trying to say that
doesn't seem to get through to everyone is that GtkHtml2 isn't stable
(or at least imho not stable enough since it does crash every now and
then) and it's untested. And most important of all, we have no one to
fix the bugs. We also don't know if it will handle the CSS correctly
since 1) the CSS support isn't finished, 2) it's not tested.

Perhaps these above issues is not important enough to loose the
CSS-support that is in place, and perhaps we can switch to gecko (if we
would feel OK with having GNOME dependent on Gecko.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/