Re: help and caching

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:07:15AM +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > It seems like (2) is needed for user-installed apps (in their home
> > directories of whatever) and in (3) we need to be able to configure the
> > search path for the documents, since even system-wide available packages
> > could be stored in multiple prefixes (it's possible; I am not saying
> > it's a good idea).
> >

> I think we can simplify this a bit - after all, we can assume that
> scrollkeeper knows about the docs, so we can just pull the locations out
> of scrollkeeper's database.

Hmm, I'm not completely convinced. If I, as normal, everyday user
Malcolm, install a GNOME application in my home directory, I won't be
able to update the global scrollkeeper table of contents.

So, Sander, is you thinking that in that particular case I would not get
the benefit of cached, pre-generated documents? This may not be
particularly insane.

Malcolm

> > So what have I forgotten?
>
> 'No setuid programs' ? 8-)

Allowing a setuid help (after creating a special 'help' user) is not
insane, but I'll leave that alone for now.

Malcolm