Re: help and caching

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 12:24:09AM +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > On 23 Jun 2002, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> > > OK, so what you are proposing is the KDE way of doing it. Make the
> > > db2html conversion at install time. (I hope you don't mean that the
> > > admin is going to generate the documents manually whenever a user asks
> > > for it?)
> > >

> > If this is the KDE way, yes. I think the important things are:
> > 	* if there is no html, just use the xml
> > 	* if the html is out of date, ignore it
> > 	* have an independent tool that generates the html
> >
> > Out of prefix "user" documentation should idealy also fit into this.
>
> Is the following a reasonable summary of the requirements so far?
>
> (1) Need to allow the possibility of system-wide and per-user
> cache locations.
>
> (2) Need to have configuration and management of cache size.
> Particularly, as Sander noted early on, because we don't want the cache
> to completely take over the users' home directories.
>
> (3) Need some way to pre-generate and re-generate the appropriate HTML
> documents in the system-wide directory from time to time (this seems
> very inelegant to me, but I also can't think of a better solution).

Yes, it looks like this covers it. Notably, the user cache size has to be
small (~ 100KB) as university admins still have the habit of handing out
quotas of ~ 2-3MB.

> It seems like (2) is needed for user-installed apps (in their home
> directories of whatever) and in (3) we need to be able to configure the
> search path for the documents, since even system-wide available packages
> could be stored in multiple prefixes (it's possible; I am not saying
> it's a good idea).

I think we can simplify this a bit - after all, we can assume that
scrollkeeper knows about the docs, so we can just pull the locations out
of scrollkeeper's database.

> So what have I forgotten?

'No setuid programs' ? 8-)

> Malcolm

	Sander

	you'll rescue me right?
	in the exact same way that they never did
	i'll be happy right?
	when your healing powers kick in