Re: DTD and stylesheets in Yelp

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 11:22, Dan Mueth wrote:
> On 5 Jun 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > No, I don't think you missed anything.  However, the chances of
> > distributions having a working XML catalog, the DocBook DTD, and the
> > DocBook XSL stylesheets when GNOME 2 is released is non-existent.  Since
> > we can't rely on distributions to get off their ass in time, and we NEED
> > to ship GNOME with a working help system, we have to ship the DTD and
> > stylesheets.  It sucks, but I don't see that we have any other option.
>
> So what happens on systems which have decent DocBook packages which
> install all the right files in the right places and register them?  I'm
> assuming that Yelp is installing duplicate copies in a location which
> doesn't over-write the others, to avoid package conflicts.  That seems
> fine in itself, since I think we can do that without having packages
> conflict or putting files in places where they shouldn't be.  What happens
> to the XML catalog when we try to install and register two versions of the
> same DTD?  Does everything (libxml's catalog and other tools, and Yelp)
> continue to work properly with duplicate entries in the catalog?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty confident...  Yelp is
installing the stylesheets to someplace other than the "proper" location
that distributions should be putting them.  This means there shouldn't
be any file conflicts.  Yelp doesn't register it's copy of the
stylesheets in the XML catalog.  It also appears that yelp has no need
to ship the DTD, just the stylesheets.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.
Please don't copy me on replies to the list.