Re: Lampadas development plans

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 23:18, David Merrill wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:16:08PM -0500, Eric Baudais wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 09:49, David Merrill wrote:
> > > Reading information about files from CVS I can handle in the first
> > > release. I can show logs, history, commits, anything that can be
> > > pulled from cvs. That's all very easy to do.
> >
> > That is essentially what we want.  We would like Lampadas to be smart
> > with CVS and automatically update the last date the documentation in CVS
> > was changed.  This data would be put directly into the database.
>
> That's the idea. I'll have an implementation for you to look at by the
> end of the week if I can. If you want to go ahead and give me a
> list of specific things you want me to extract, go ahead and I'll do
> them.
>
> I also extract document meta-data into the database directly for
> DocBook and LinuxDoc. Are *all* your documents DocBook XML right now?

All the end user docs for GNOME 2 are in DocBook XML.  We want to
support GNOME 1.4 applications and those docs are in DocBook V3.1 SGML.
Also the developer docs are in DocBook SGML.  So support for both
DocBook XML and DocBook SGML is required.

> > > So, the plan is to work out with you and the LDP what features are not
> > > yet included, and have them coded by the end of the month, so we can
> > > freeze code and prepare for a 1.0 about a month later. I believe I
> > > have all functionality the LDP requires already in place, so I'll be
> > > putting my attention towards Gnome now.
> >
> > There is one more major feature we want in Lampadas.  The feature is a
> > query tool.  This tool should be able to search on the author,
> > maintainer, contributor, date updated, status, writing, accuracy, if a
> > maintainer is needed, type, and string.  The other feature is
>
> I have the query API started, and working for only a few fields. The
> various lists (pending docs, by type, etc.) are all using that
> interface. I need to expand it to allow full-text, and add an
> interface for the user to specify it rather than code. But the basic
> structure is there and only needs to be extended.
>
> My plan is to allow searching on most or all of the OMF fields.
> Similar to the form on the OMF web page, but hopefully a bit nicer
> looking.

We also need searching on the status, writing, and accuracy fields too.
This is very important because we need to group the documents according
to their status in the document life cycle.

> What format do you have your meta-data in now? Can you give me data in
> any tabular format so I can script it into the database, or will it
> all have to be manually entered? I mean a list of documents and users,
> not document meta-data, which I can extract.

A lot of the data will be entered by hand.  Right now I do not know the
status of most of the GDP documentation.  I will have to go through CVS
and look at each application to determine the status.  The Doctable-- is
just a rough guess.  It is already outdated due to last minute docs
being written.  I just know which documentation is being maintained by
Sun and the couple of docs I maintain.  Sorry we aren't as organized.
We hope to keep the data updated once Lampadas is in place.

Eric Baudais