Re: Outline numbering

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 02:40:55PM +0100, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Presently Yelp renders the online help with outline numbering. That is,
> like this:
>
> 1.1. Opening an Accessibility Tool
> 1.2. Configuring Keyboard Accessibility Options
>      1.2.1. Keyboard Accessibility Options
>      1.2.2. Miscellaneous Accessibility Options
>
> rather than like this:
>
> Opening an Accessibility Tool
> Configuring Keyboard Accessibility Options
>    Keyboard Accessibility Options
>    Miscellaneous Accessibility Options
>
> I don't think we should use outline numbering when we are only ever
> showing chapters of the User Guide or small manuals in Yelp. I don't
> think they're useful in this context. What do other people think?

You asked, so I'll tell you. :-)

It is very much a matter of personal taste as to which "looks" better.
But I find that when referring other people to documents, it is good
to be able to give them a section number. I work with bigger documents
quite often, where that is important.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

I circle around, I circle around
The boundaries of the earth.
Wearing my long wing feathers as I fly.
		-- Native American Ghost Dance