Re: Style-Guide Contribution

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:43:51AM -0600, Kevin Breit wrote:
> Guys,
>     I was reading the styleguide a bit, and saw a section called "Don't
>     offend".  I would like to add a small tidbit:
>
>     "Also avoid making comments that state the skill level of a topic.
>     For example, don't type "Sending email is easy".  If a user has a
>     hard time on an "easy" topic, they maybe offended.
> Happy New Years guys

Kevin -

This is already in the Style Guide:

http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/guidelinesfortechwriting.html

Avoid talking down to your reader

       There are few experiences more irritating for a user than documentation
       that says an action is easy or quick, when in fact the user
       can not complete the action. Do not qualify or prejudge actions.
       Stay factual.

But perhaps it should be included in the "don't offend" section as well.

Cheers,

John