Re: scrollkeeper category tree

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, David Merrill wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 06:50:02PM -0500, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> > Hi guys:
> > can anyone tell me where I can find the tree of categories to use in OMF
> > files?
>
> On a side note, how cast in stone is the tree? I will need to merge
> the LDP into it soon, so I expect I will uncover problems.

The categories are specified in an XML file installed by ScrollKeeper,
typically at /usr/share/scrollkeeper/Templates/C/scrollkeeper_cl.xml.
This is then translated into other locales at
/usr/share/scrollkeeper/Templates/<locale>/scrollkeeper_cl.xml.

Developing a much improved category tree is really a small project in
itself which could use some work.  We should maintain backward
compatibility, expanding on the categories which are presently used.
Nobody is presently working on this, so help is welcome.

One of the new features of the 0.3/0.4 release cycle is that we use
categorycodes to allow scrollkeeper to identify analogous sections in
different locales.  This is useful for including multiple locales in a
single category tree and also allows translators to not translate the
categories in OMF files if they don't want to (saves time and reduces risk
of errors).  So, if you want to work on the category tree, make sure you
get the current development version, 0.3.0.

Dan