Re: CSS for Help Docs

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Calum Benson wrote:

> Calum Benson wrote:

> >> If you (Calum) believe that they are not light enough now, I can easily
> >> add a stylesheet that simply removes the colours from the original, that
> >> Yelp could use on top of the normal CSS.
> >
> > That might be a good start, although unfortunately it only solves the
> > problem for people who need high contrast, not those who need low
> > contrast  :/
>
> In other words, I guess, it sounds like we need an option in Yelp that
> lets the user choose which stylesheet to use to display GNOME help
> docs-- default, high contrast, low contrast, big print etc.

Yeah. Sounds good.

> What are the chances of seeing something like that in Yelp anytime
> soon?  Or are there at least any GtkHTML2 config files that can be poked
> by the user to point at their choice of stylesheet?  One of the reasons
> for choosing Yelp for GNOME 2.0 was that it's the easiest help browsing
> solution to make accesible, it would be a shame if we fell down at the
> last hurdle...

I'm unsure of the current CSS state in GtkHTML2, but barring any
unimplemented stuff this should be possible. The problem is that the code
is somewhat distributed. The html generation code for man pages and info
pages are in libgnome, and needs to be updated to use CSS. I have no
idea how  docbook stuff is done with respect to stylesheets, but i doubt
it's hard to fix. And then we may need some code in yelp to select between
alternate stylesheets in the html pages.

/ Alex