Re: Rendering of xref tag

On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 08:06, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> When I convert an XML file to HTML, the text 'the section called ""' is
[snip]

> I think that the "the section called " text is redundant and should be
> removed. What do others think of this?

As I remember, we tried to talk Norm into making just this change in the
stock stylesheets upstream, but it never happened.  I think it's well
worth changing on our own.

On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 08:34, Mark Levitt wrote:
> As for style, quotes should not be used for cross-reference. The only reason
> why you sometimes see quotes as cross-references is because early
> typewriters couldn't do italics. You also see two spaces after a period for
> the same reason (typewriters can't do kerning of fonts).

Ack, please don't go into the spaces debate here too!  I just read this
argument on another list (KDE doc, actually).  The space between
sentences should be slightly larger than the space between words.  The
easiest way to do that right now is to just use a double space, unless
you want to type in a character entity after every sentence (since
automatic determination of this is quite dificult).  Not to mention that
the character entity would probably end up being converted to a double
space for most output formats anyway.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.