Re: Rendering of xref tag

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 04:34:57PM -0000 or thereabouts, Mark Levitt wrote:
> > I think that the "the section called " text is redundant and should be
> > removed. What do others think of this?
>
> Absolutely.
>
> >From a matter of principle, if authors aren't supposed to mess about with
> formatting and layout so we can focus on the words, then the formatting and
> layout shouldn't mess about with adding words *.  :)

I agree. But I just hate the <xref> construction :) I like
<link linkend="whereever">this other section</link> where
"this other section" is what shows up. Like HTML, you have
to be careful not to put "here" or "click here" and use a
rather more descriptive term.

To change the tag would achieve what you want...

> However, for output formats that are intended for print (PS, etc) the
> section name (in italics) should be followed by "on page xx." For example:
>
> For more information, see To Modify a Panel With the Panel Properties Dialog
> on page 23.

...but I don't know whether it would do this. Perhaps that is
something that xref handles better after all.

Telsa