Re: DocBook, sgml, whatever...

Eric (et alia),

Thanks for your reply to my plea for help!

> It sounds like you have all the tools needed to get DocBook up and
> working.  Unfortunately you will have to become knowledgeable about
> DocBook issues if you choose to build from source.

I was afraid of that :\

> You can get this <the docbooks, that is> minus the catalog files from docbook.sourceforge.net

OK...  I've downloaded all the docbook zip files I can find.  What
versions, in particular, will I absolutely NEED to have installed for a
clean Gnome 2 build?  I went ahead and got all past/present</future>
versions of the sgml and xml docbooks, but do I need 'em all?  Are there
other "unofficial" ones I might need in addition for smooth operation?

> 1) export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/sgml/catalog
>
> The top level catalog file is /etc/sgml/catalog.  This is the file in
> which all the other catalog files are referenced.  It does not have to
> be /etc/sgml/catalog, but this is in reference to my own configuration
> of Debian unstable.
>
> 2) Make sure you reference all your catalogs from the "super" catalog.
> Below is a sample super catalog file which should be put into /etc/sgml/
>
> catalog:
>
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/catalog
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-3.0.0/catalog
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-3.1.0/catalog
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-4.0.0/catalog
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-4.1.0/catalog
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/catalog
>
> 3) Make sure there is a PUBLIC entry in one of the catalogs listed in
> your super catalog.  Below is an example:
>
> PUBLIC "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN" "docbook.dtd"
>
> This entry is made of three parts.  The first part defines the scope of
> the declaration.  The second part defines the DTD referenced.  The third
> part defines the file where the DTD is located in your filesystem
> locally.

I'll be working on this today...  I'll let you know how it turns out.

> After doing these three steps jade should find the DTD.  I do not
> guarantee any of these steps will work on a crack-laden source only
> distro.  Nor do I guarantee any of these steps will make gtk-doc, jade,
> or any other program work correctly.  I do guarantee these steps have a
> possibility of blowing up your computer and forever destroying any hope
> of using DocBook in a cyanide laced source distro.

Good enough for me!

> There are some packagers, notably Garnome, which
> have chosen not to enable gtk-doc.

What are the downsides to this?  Missing help pages and whatnot?

Again, thanks a million!

Jeremy