libxslt speed (was Re: jrb help: XML & HTML)

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:05:13PM -0400, Alexander Kirillov wrote:

> On a different topic: the main incentive for shipping HTML instead of
> (or in addition to) XML is speed. Does anyone have any hard data on how
> fast the gnome-db2html3 (based on libxml/libxslt) will work? If it
> works reasonbaly fast, I'd gladly join my voice to those suggesting to
> get rid of HTML for good. So: DV, jfleck: any estimates? What can we hope
> for?
>
> (For me: reasonably fast means that getting table of contents or one
> section of a medium length doc, such as Panel manual, takes under 2
> sec on 500 Mhz Pentium III. I'd actually prefer under 1 sec)

On my 400 Mhz machine, parsing a section of panel.sgml and outputing
html takes 1 to 1.5 seconds. (Nothing special about panel.sgml here -
similar times for other stuff I've tested.)

Cheers,
--
John Fleck
jfleck inkstain net (h), http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/