Re: jrb help: XML & HTML

tis 2001-09-04 klockan 05.59 skrev Dan Mueth:

Argh, I tried to answer to this but I happend to answer to Rebecca
privatly, can't someone make the Reply-to-address be set to
gnome-doc-list?

Anyway,

> Shipping HTML versions of XML docs which we ship...  The potential gain is
> that people gain the flexibility of using a help browser which does not
> render XML docs.  The main issue here is that Nautilus was painfully slow
> on slow machines in the past.  I do not know if all the recent speedups
> fix this problem.  The main problem with shipping both HTML and XML and
> supporting non-XML browsers is that the help API becomes more complicated.
> I think I described this in greater detail on this list a while back, but
> the short version is: When foo.xml is converted to HTML, you get a handful
> of HTML files with anchors.  Thus, you cannot merely specify a position in
> the doc by the (path, XMLfilename, XMLid)  triplet when calling
> gnome_help_foo(). You need to specify the HTML filename and anchor, which
> take the place of the XML filename and id but are different.  I believe we
> have four solutions:

Perhas I misunderstood this but it isn't (XMLfilename, XMLid) that you
call gnome-help with, is it?
You call it with (DocumentName, SectionName) which is then looked up in
ScroolKeeper to a (Filename, tag) (where tag could be the name of an
HTML-anchor).

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/