Re: jrb help: XML & HTML

On Tue, 2001-09-04 at 08:49, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> "Rebecca J. Walter" <rjp mail tele dk> writes:
>
> > I'm all for shipping just XML if we have a good browser that can handle
> > it.  It would be great if said browser could handle SGML too for docs
> > that aren't converted yet (like GIMP. prof hasn't given the go to
> > convert yet.)  With this front-end the user could easily create docs for
> > something else if they dislike the browser or want to print a GNOME
> > manual.
>
> Indeed.  If the gimp needs to ship html for the foreseeable future,
> that's prolly Okay.  Having it use the same mechanism as the rest of
> GNOME for displaying/locating help would be really good, though, and is
> a big reason for this exercise. (-:

Until Windows and Mac also have XML browsers, we need to ship HTML.  But
the help is still under development and more is available from the CVS
in sgml format than is included in the distro.  also if i don't know how
the current help browser does the cool stuff it does with the html
files... so i dont know if a user using the gnome help browser and our
html files will get the same features.  it might be that gnome, if the
help browser could handle it, should include the gimp sgml help so the
user can select to use the gnome help browser theyre used to instead of
the gimp help browser.