jrb's help ideas

i have one addition.  this help browser should be capable of loading an
average help file in under 15 seconds on a typical user machine.

The GIMP help browsers takes about 2 seconds to load on my machine. (one
of the new ibooks)

I tried running nautilus to compare but it made me feel ill.  Starting
nautilus sticks the crap on my desktop again. AARGH.  but basically,
nautilus is slower and starts six tons of stuff that isn't needed to
display a help file.

here we go.. more than 25 seconds on a second start BEFORE nautilus will
accept a click to a menu.  this is BAD! this is on an iBook 500 mhz.
and it is a new nautilus too.  holger built the rpms for me last week so
icould have a decent gnome on this machine.

of course id id open gimp before opening the help browser, but i dont
know how to access the browser independently and gimp opens all the
plug-in directories.

we need to consider users who have slower machines (like schools and
families), access the docs off the server instead of locally, and dont
run nautilus icons ont he desktop (it makes things slower).  these are
some of the users who will most need the help files.  in a worst case
scenario, it should be under 25 seconds!

seriously.
bex