Re: help browser plan

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 10:04:02PM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 16:21, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can someone fill me in on the plan for help browsing in GNOME 2? I've
> > seen various ideas floating around, but we should make a decision if
> > we haven't.
> >
> > If we're going to use a standalone browser, we should consider
> > dropping the help components from Nautilus - that will make Nautilus
> > smaller and eliminate some code we have to worry about. At the same
> > time, if we're going to use a standalone browser, we need to decide
> > what it is for sure and start working on it ASAP.
> >
> > If someone's all over this and already decided, just let me know what
> > the plan is. ;-)
>
> Please take a look at the screenshots here:

This is all very similar to the way I'm handling things in
ScrollServer (a somewhat parallel project to the Gnome help browser,
that just serves html to be used in any browser. All the pages are
generated from xml, and the documentation itself comes from primarily
docbook xml, but will also support anything else that can be rendered
to HTML such as man pages). See www.scrollserver.org

The primary impetus for SS was to be able to view the help in *any*
browser, including at the console.

Please help the Gnome folks with their help browser if you are so
inclined, but of course you're welcome to help with ScrollServer if
not. (I wouldn't want to be accused of trolling for developers on a
Gnome list! ;-)

Regards,

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

Do you know the old language?
I do not know the old language.
Do you know the language of the old belief?
		-- Robert Duncan