Re: Help browser plan -> Help content?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Pat Costello wrote:

> All,
>
> Maybe I'm missing something significant. There's been a lot of intense activity
> recently around the nature of the GNOME Help browser. Of course, this is an
> important topic. My question, however, concerns the Help content which the
> browser is supposed to browse.
>
> As things stand right now, what Help content is planned for GNOME 2.0? For
> example:
>
> - Will the GNOME 2.0 desktop include the existing Help content from GNOME 1.4?
>
> - Will the GNOME 2.0 desktop include the existing Help content for the applets,
> applications and utilities?

No, and no.

> Is that the plan, even though the existing material is largely out-of-date? Or
> is there another understanding that I am missing? An update plan perhaps? I'm
> not referring to the update necessary from sgml -> xml, I'm referring to the
> informational content.
>
> The Sun documentation team are working on a lot of material that could be used
> as generic GNOME Help content, for example the User Guide, and online manuals
> for some applets and applications. However, we need to know what the current
> vision for Help content is, and whether our material is going to be
> incorporated.

The plan is to use Sun's contributed documentation where possible, and to
update the existing documentation elsewhere.

We will not be shipping out-of-date documentation. Some documentation
updating is already underway.

However, because of changing UI's, and because the question of which
applets/applications will be shipped, it is difficult to begin work on
very much of this. As more things are ported, the logjam here will begin
to clear.

Cheers,

John