Re: help browser plan

On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 04:32, John Fleck wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 07:54:09PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> > > Right now, the top 3 candidates, mozilla, gtkhtml1 and gtkhtml2, all
> > > sound like they won't be ready in time.
> > >

> > Well, there are two mitigating factors for help browser:
> >
> >  - the lib doesn't need to be API/ABI frozen, it can be "internal"
> >  - it only needs to display our usual DocBook output, it doesn't have
> >    to handle arbitrary web pages
> >
> > I would think we could get one of the HTML viewers ready, given that.
> > It's not like gnome-help-browser was stable, and we lived with that
> > for ages.
> >
> > Shipping sans help browser isn't an option really (though using the
> > one in Nautilus is an option, I'm not sure it makes things easier).
> >
> > Anyway - regardless of how screwed we are for schedule, the point
> > stands - what is the plan? We need a plan. We need to know which HTML
> > thingy to start fixing, and which framework the HTML thingy will plug
> > into. i.e. if someone is going to start solving this problem today,
> > where do they start?
> >

> Our plan is to use Nautilus as our default browser, not because we
> like it or want to use it that way, but because it is the browser we
> know we have.
>
> It is not ideal, and if we have the option of a more lightweight
> alternative, I would be in favor of it. Having to use big ol' Nautilus
> just to read help has been a frequent source of user complaints, and
> the trickiness of Nautilus/Mozilla compatibility is the most common
> help-related Nautilus bug report I'm seeing right now.

we could have both. That is, we could have a Bonobo component which
implements the help browser, then a lightweight frontend which just
loads the component, and then have nautilus use that same component for
the HTML view. Thus, users will be able to choose which help browser
he/she wants.

That's what Bonobo integration is for, right?

cheers