Converting Docs to Dockbook 4.1.2 XML

I know we've all been talking about how to make sure you have a setup
that can function in making Docbook 4.1.2 XML but I'm now in the midst
or re-writing the GnuCash Manual and would like to use the Dtd for this.
First, what are the problems with doing this? Is it for eg, preferable
to ship both 3.1 SGML and 4.1.2 XML? What are the advantages and
disadvantages of doing this now as opposed to waiting for GNOME2? My
impression is so far current RH and debian distro's support 4.1.2, what
requirements would I need to make in order to tell users trying to
compile the XML version that they need tools a, b and c?

Basically what I'm looking for is if it's feasible now to start shipping
docs written for 4.1.2 XML and the practical implications of doing this.

Chris

PS Currently GnuCash renders their docs via an html browser that is
shipped with the tarballs so the problem is more related to setting up a
build to convert the docs than if Nautilus will render the docs
correctly.