Re: Integrating DocBook documentation into my project

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, ERDI Gergo wrote:

> [please CC replies to cactus cactus rulez org]
>
> Hi,
>
> With the help of Kevin Conder, I've created XSL style sheets to create
> DocBook from my own home-grown format.
>
> So now I naturally want to distribute the documentation in proper format.
> Basically, I'd like to automate the following steps in the Makefile.am
> file:
> 	1, optionally re-creating the DocBook from my own format
> 	2, creating [X]HTML documentation from the DocBook
> 	3, installing the documentation
> 	4, registering the documentation via ScrollKeeper
>
> I am already checking for 'xsltproc' in my Autoconf script, so #1 should
> be pretty easy. However, I'm completely lost with #2-#4. Are there any
> DocBook-to-XHTML XSLs around? Can I rely on them being installed at the
> user or should I (via some Automake magic) include the HTML in the dist
> tarball as well?
> Is there a well-defined central location for storing documentation? Or is
> this automatically handled by ScrollKeeper? What do I do with ScrollKeeper
> anyway?

Are you and Kevin creating DocBook SGML or DocBook XML?

If it's SGML, then the steps necessary to get the whole thing building are
"documented" (I use the word loosely :-) in the gdp example build system
in GNOME cvs at: gnome-docu/gdp/gdp-example1

If it's XML, then you've caught us right as we're changing horses in
midstream. We're in the midst of moving to XML, and we'll have a sample
build system and documentation for XML shortly (he said optimistically
:-).

The ScrollKeeper stuff will be the same, but the XML handling will be
different.

For making XHTML from XML, Norman Walsh has written the necessary XSL.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/

I haven't used the XHTML ones, only the HTML ones, but perhaps somewhere
else here can jump in.

Cheers,

John