Re: updating templates

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your mail about the license. The Sun legal team say that at a minium
clauses covering liability and warranty >>must<< ship with the documentation,
ideally in the actual license. Richard Stallman was amenable to updating the
license, but when the Free Software Foundation reviewed the situation, they were
not keen on including new clauses into the GFDL, probably because they could
envision different situations where the warranty or liability clauses need to be
fitted to local conditions. The FSF suggested amending the existing license to
allow for the concurrent shipping of liability and warranty disclaimers. The Sun
legal team have accepted this suggestion. The Sun documentation team is happy
with this strategy as well - providing we can use the separate title page
approach. So, as it stands right now, the Sun legal team is doing a last polish
of the  L 'n' D clauses, Richard Stallman is revising the GFDL, and I am trying
to create a suitable title page that is acceptable to the community as well as
Sun. All in all, I'd say we are making some progress with this issue.

I think we can incorporate the suggestions that you make into the title page. I
only have the following responses to your suggestions:

> * I think we should strike "Title Page" from the string at the top of the
> page, which I believe should just be the document title.

If we strike the words Title Page from the top of the document, then the
document will have the same title as the actual online Help manual. This could
be confusing. I know that the title becomes long and clumsy with the words Title
Page, nevertheless these words identify the nature of this particular document.
Also, the GFDL defines and uses the term Title Page, see section 4
Modifications, of the GFDL. If we strike the words Title Page from the actual
title, then I would at least recommend puttin the words Title Page in a
paragraph tag immediately under the title.

> * I'm assuming there isn't actually a "Previous" link at the bottom of the
> title page, and that we may want to replace "Home" with "Contents".
> Right?

I don't really have an opinion about this question. I'd be happy with any of the
above links at the bottom of the Title Page. Previous would be acceptable,
because the only place that people should be able to open the Title Page would
be from the TOC, therefore the Previous link would take people back to the TOC,
which is the right thing.

Pat