Re: man pages for our apps?

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 07:44:51AM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> Folks -
>
> I've just had a couple of bugs filed against apps in gnome-utils
> asking for man pages.
>
> How should I respond? Clearly here's at least one user who wants one.

If it is decided that we don't want to create manual pages for
everything, then one solution is to follow what GNU do. For some of
their utilities, the man page says nothing except "refer to the info
pages". We could even group a whole bunch of things (e.g. all of
gnome-utils) on a single man page that gives instructions on how to find
the "real" documentation.

If you do want to have man pages for some things, it would be great to
be able to do this with a single master document for the help system and
the manual page (extract some rational subset of the sections for the
manual page). I can think of a couple of ways this might be done, but
I'm not sure what will fit in with the existing tools, so I'll just lob
the idea up to see what it sounds like when it crashes.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Everything is _not_ based on faith... take my word for it.