Re: The Ultimate Help System

Tom,
	That actually seems very good.  It's actually something we should try to
do...Gnome 2.0?
	A comment though.  I'd like to see more online documentation (ala
Microsoft's help center) instead of on the system.  This has a few advantages
and a few disadvantages.
	Advantages: Keeping documentation updated online tends to be very easy to
update.  I release some new <application>Dia</application> documentation, I
don't need to wait till the next release to get the latest documentation.  I
just update it on the web, and its there, ready to go.  This also creates a
central place for help.  A user knows that they can always go to
help.gnome.org and get help for all the Gnome applications.
	Disadvantages: Not everyone has an internet connection.  I need help getting
say...gppp or whatever going.  But the docs are online.  Bad combo.  You also
have version problems.
	What I'd recommend doing is having a central database that is online and
each program will come with its own documentation.  Then the database will
have archives of all the documentation, and will have errata on the docs with
the fixes applied to the online documentation.  So the user will select what
version they got, and then it'll display the latest documentation for that
version.
	Comments?
Kevin