Re: Help: gnome-doc-tools

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 02:14:01PM -0600, eliot landrum wrote:
> Hey Jules.. a couple of comments...

<snip>

>  > 2) Eliot's packages install the .dsl in
> /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/gnome-doc-tools,
>  >  but the balsa build system is looking for them in
>  > .../stylesheet/docbook-gnome.  I made a symlink  to fix it. Is that
>  >  sensible?  Shall I put the symlink in the gnome-doc-tools package?
>
> Is that OK with Debian? I believe it should be in
> /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/<packagename>

Ah, yes.  Sounds reasonable. I now found the makefile in which balsa
is hardwiring that path, which obviously I can patch. I thought it was
some kind of default.

>  > 3) The packages provide their own db2html called gnome-db2html.  It
> doesn't
>  >  seem to make any difference (although I didn't check too carefully)
>  >  whether or not I use the db2html on my system (which comes from
>  > cygnus-stylesheetts 0.10.2-3) or the gnome-db2html one. At the moment
>  >  I'm using the former, since that's what the upstream balsa makefile
>  >  does.
>
> This is a little problem I came across. The upstream script is actually
> db2html. I didn't want my package to overwrite cygnus-stylesheet's
> db2html, so I made it gnome-db2html. It is in fact different because
> cygnus-stylesheets/db2html by default uses the default DocBook DTD and
> cygnus' stylesheets while gnome-doc-tools/db2html uses the GNOME PNG
> DocBook DTD and Gnome's own stylesheets.

Right.  But most documents explicitly specify the DTD, so it doesn't
matter for most documents?

Certainly I managed to use the cygnus db2html on the balsa docs, which
do use PNGs, so I assume it's all working out somehow...

Oh well, I'll just upload packages which seem to work, and I'm sure
I'll get bug reports from people who understand sgml better than me if
they're wrong.

Does gnome-doc-tools want to depend on cygnus-stylesheets?  Does it
need any of the other stuff there?

Jules