No So Brief Intro

I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself summarily.

I am working on a project that is /not/ on the to-do list, but I thought
direly needed some attention.

I have built a home grown Linux system built solely from /only/ the
necessary stable source packages to boot a working and functional Linux
system and get online. I am now building Gnome and its dependencies from
sources and documenting exactly what the dependencies are, the order they
most be compiled, and if necessary, what compile time options and where
dependent sources expect packages to be installed during compile time.

The document will contain an exhaustive list of what was installed on my
system before I began compiling Gnome or X.

The purpose of this document is to be used as a replacement for, in
conjunction with or as new source material for instructions found on the
stable sources page
http://www.gnome.org/start/installing/index.php3

At present I am approximately 1/2 way through the Gnome build. I have built
the current stable Gnome before, and I grew extra hair on my chest as a
result, so I squeezed a new bare Linux system from it, and am duplicating
the process, so I can better document the exact process.

Although Gnome is available from Ximian for many systems, there are people
like myself that do not utilize distributed Linux systems or simply prefer
to compile their own packages from source. Even if people attempt to compile
on a Linux distribution, there are times when conflicts may arise due to the
way the distributed system is built (otherwise Ximian wouldn't need to build
so many different versions of Gnome). This document is aimed specifically at
the same people that look to the above named webpage as an instructional
resource to building a Gnome workstation.

Please feel free to comment and provide suggestions. I have documented
material before, but not for the Gnome Documentation Projects and any
assistance is more than appreciated.
Scot Mc Pherson
~Linux is a journey, not a guided tour~