Re: word lists (was Re: GUP Proposal Organization)

On 30 Jul 2001 20:28:44 -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 06:43:15PM -0500, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> >
> > There is a word list & glossary being developed for the GUP.
> >
> > http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/GUP/ghci-gloss.html
> >

> The GNOME Documentation Project has a rather extensive word list that
> is part of our draft Style Guide:
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/wordlist.html
>
> The word list was developed largely by Eugene O'Connor working with a
> group of contributors looking at how the terms are used now both in
> the interfaces and the existing GNOME documentation, as well as
> looking at usage patterns in the computer community in general.
>
> We should no doubt coordinate here so that our lists match up, as
> I've already begun to find that as I work to bring docs into
> conformance with the style guide, I'm colliding headlong into
> inconsistent terminology in the UI.

No. And this is the point of contention I mentioned. The audience of the
GUP style guide is the API user, not the end-user. The conceptual spaces
are not entirely the same and sometimes conflict.

> I'm cc'ing the docs list with this so folks there can jump into the
> fun.

I hope that the documentation and translation projects will exhibit due
diligence in making sure that developer jargon does not leak into
end-user space. Having both lists available will surely ease the process
of correcting such errors if they occur.

> Cheers,
> --
> John Fleck
> jfleck inkstain net (h), http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/