Gnome core documentation builds

I've spent the last couple of days looking at the build process for
gnome-core as it currently is in CVS. There's a fair bit of history
(some might say "cruft") in there.

One issue was that a recent documentation translation checking broke the
build (why people don't check these things is beyond me, but that's a
rant for another day). In the process of fixing that, I realised that
there are currently three different ways to set up the Makefile.am for
building documentation inside gnome-core.

The three main makefile prototypes are applet-docs.make, app-docs.make
and sgmldocs.make. It looks like the last one is the most recent and
some attempts are being made to use this across the board. Currently the
usage numbers are as follows:

applet-docs.make:	used by two applet help files.
app-docs.make:		used by three gnome-terminal translations.
sgmldocs.make:		used by 36 help files (applets and others)

Can anybody think of a good reason for me not to go through and
rationalise all these to use sgmldocs.make (all three do basically the
same things, so we're not sacrificing functionality)? The current lack
of neatness annoys me, but it's more than just a cosmetic issue. The
build problem i mentioned above could have been partially avoided if
there was only a single Makefile.am template to copy, rather than a
choice of three to copy and mess up.

Dan (Mueth): I guess this is your call, since you seem to be the person
doing the most doc commits in this module (Jacob Berkman tells me that
doc commits don't require his approval to gnome-core).

Thoughts anybody?

Cheers,
Malcolm

--