Re: XML/DocBook Tools [was Re: GNOME Documentation Style Guide]

Dan Mueth wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
>
> > This reminds me of something else. I'm seeing people having trouble
> > with db2html, gnome-doc-tools-2.0 and the PNG DTD. Why are we still
> > using this? Are we at all in a position just to jump to XML and
> > DocBook 4? We talked about this months ago and missed it for the 1.4
> > release. Can we make it for 1.4.1, or at least try it for a single
> > module? Kjarten was considering a test release of gnome-applets to
> > see whether all the fixes actually worked for everyone. Can we think
> > about trying to get all of that to XML and see whether it works?
> > If not, we need to update the handbook with the stuff about the
> > extra magic required to get things to work on RH 7.1, I think.
> >
> > I have picked the wrong week to ask this, since I know John Fleck is
> > out of town for a week and he will doubtless have comments. But I
> > really would like to get an idea of what we're still waiting for
> > before we shift. For the toolchain as a whole? For the tools to
> > become available for all distros on Linux and in BSD ports and so
> > on? Or what?
>
> Does anybody understand what is wrong with gnome-doc-tools-2.0 on RH 7.1
> (or similar configurations)?  It sounds like quite a few people have had
> problems with this (including myself). Can anybody supply some information
> here about where the breakage is occuring or how one can fix it?  Has
> anybody actually gotten things to work?

Me too here with the similar problem. I don't have redhat 7.1 (I am still
using 6.2, because I think it is more stabler), though I have upgraded
gnome to 1.4 from tarballs. And later discovered that the ALL the gnome
manuals where not properly generated from the sgml files.

Then I discovered that gnome-doc-tools where missing. Not a single application
set the dependency for this package (in the configure). Since, I firmly
belive that normal docbook stylesheets donot work for gnome sgml docs, I
consider it as a necessity for all the applications to set a dependency
in the configure (if possible) for the gnome-doc-tools.

Ok, then I installed gnome-doc-tools, and regenerated the manuals.
Still docbook won't recognize the gnome DTD, resulting in the same
old problem. I think docbook is unable to find the DTD reference
in the CATALOG. Anybody know how to fix this? I don't mean the
command line fix. I want permenent fix in the system catalog files,
or something similar to that.

--

Regards,
-Naba