Re: GUI terminology

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 09:31:33PM +0200 or thereabouts, Christian Rose wrote:

> > This debate sounds about as fun as the recurring mouse button terminology
> > debate.
>
> I don't think there is a need for recurring discussions if there is
> nothing to be added to that discussion that hasn't already been
> mentioned.

I think there is when many people weren't even aware of the discussion.
That said (and this is completely independent of my comments on IRC
earlier: I'd say it whichever viewpoint I held):

> Anyway, since the documentation guidelines will serve as UI terminology
> guidelines (as basic UI and documentation terminology shouldn't need to
> differ anyway), I really would like to have a recommendation on this
> topic in the word list. It *is* a problem and it doesn't get solved by
> ignoring it, even if it is/was an ugly and non-fun debate.

I'm of the opinion we (using "we" loosely to mean "them what did the
work") should define as little as possible. That way we have a chance
of people following what is suggested. Five pages and we have a hope.
Fifty pages, and no way.

Telsa