Re: GUI terminology

Dan Mueth wrote:
> > > This wordlist certainly looks promising! Whoever wrote it (Dan?) needs a
> > > big, big thanks.
>
> I believe it is Eugene O'Connor and Pat Costello who deserve the thanks :)

Ok, thanks guys!

> > > * folder / directory
> > > An even longer time ago, there was a big discussion on gnome-gui-list on
> > > the pros and cons of "folder" versus "directory" in the UI. If I remember
> > > correctly the discussion finally ended on "folder" being preferred by more
> > > people for various reasons. Currently, the state in GNOME regarding this
> > > terminology is very inconsistent - some apps use folder, others use
> > > directory. I think a decision on this is very much needed to be in the
> > > word list if it is to be used as a GNOME terminology guideline...
>
> This debate sounds about as fun as the recurring mouse button terminology
> debate.

This debate has already been had (the thread is at
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-gui-list/2001-April/msg00024.html),
and most pros and cons were mentioned there, I think.
I don't think there is a need for recurring discussions if there is
nothing to be added to that discussion that hasn't already been
mentioned.

Anyway, since the documentation guidelines will serve as UI terminology
guidelines (as basic UI and documentation terminology shouldn't need to
differ anyway), I really would like to have a recommendation on this
topic in the word list. It *is* a problem and it doesn't get solved by
ignoring it, even if it is/was an ugly and non-fun debate.

Christian