Please ignore: Re: usability testing (was Re: Documentation development processes.)

Hi All
Sorry, I sent this in error, I am working on many projects
and sent it to the wrong project team.
Aoife

> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:14:24 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Aoife Dunne - Sunsoft ELC
<Aoife Dunne ireland sun com>
> Subject: Re: usability testing (was Re: Documentation
development processes.)
> To: gnome-doc-list gnome org, jfleck inkstain net,
John Sheehan ireland sun com

> Hi John
> Apologies for the late response, but I would just like to
> highlight that funding to translate into all 9 languages is
> still a concern.   We are currently investigating all
options.

> Aoife

> > Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:13:44 +0000 (GMT)
> > From: John Sheehan <John Sheehan ireland sun com>
> > Subject: Re: usability testing (was Re: Documentation
> development processes.)
> > To: gnome-doc-list gnome org, jfleck inkstain net
> >

> > Hi John,
> >
> > First let me reintroduce myself. I work in Desktop Ops in
Sun
> with
> > overall responsibility for release engineering and
> documentation for
> > Gnome on Solaris.  Although I have management
responsibility
> for the
> > Gnome on Solaris documentation strategy, I am not on the
> Gnome Style
> > Team as one of the earlier mails on this thread may have
lead
> you to
> > believe, so Pat brought your following question to my
> attention:
> >
> > On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:25:36 -0700, John Fleck wrote:
> > >
> > > This would be great - the things you learn will then be
> able to feed
> > > back into our work. But I'm confused. This makes it
sound
> as though
> > > Sun may be packaging its own, different Gnome
> documentation? Or are
> > > you talking here about simply doing such testing on
*any*
> piece of
> > > documentation that's part of a piece of Gnome being
shipped
> by Sun?
> > >
> > Your question is pertinent, and we would like to share
our
> documentation
> > strategy ideas with the gnome-doc-list alias.
> >
> > Attached is a documentation strategy outline regarding
the
> Gnome on
> > Solaris desktop that Sun will ship. As you can see from
our
> documentation
> > strategy, there are compelling reasons why we will indeed
> package our
> > own Gnome documentation for Gnome 2.0 on Solaris release.
 We
> will on an
> > ongoing basis contribute any work we do back to the Gnome
> community. And
> > we will continue to work as part of the GDP so that we
can
> converge our
> > work.
> >
> > We appreciate all comments and feedback,
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > John Sheehan

**
> ***********
> >
> > Sun Documentation Strategy for the Gnome Desktop
> >
> > We have only just formulated our approach as to how we
might
> provide
> > Gnome documentation that fully meets the expectations of
our
> Solaris users.
> > The documentation strategy matches the manner in which
Sun is
> planning to
> > release the Gnome desktop on Solaris.
> >
> > Gnome on Solaris Release Strategy
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > For the next major release of Solaris we expect to ship
Gnome
> 2.0 as the
> > Solaris desktop.  Sun will probably ship Gnome on 2 CDs:
> >
> >   1. The primary CD will be what we call supported Gnome
and
> >      consists of packages that are:
> >
> >        - Fully integrated with Solaris
> >        - Thoroughly tested on Solaris.
> >        - Documented in a consistent style.
> >        - Translated 100% into 9 languages (Swedish,
French
> >          German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, and
> Simplified
> >          and Traditional Chinese
> >        - Fully supported by Sun in the field through the
> normal
> >          Sun support channels
> >
> >      The supported Gnome release may not correspond to
the
> community's
> >      core Gnome but it should be close.  If we omit
community
> core
> >      packages it may be because they do not apply to
Solaris,
> for
> >      example gfloppy, or we do not have the resources to
> translate
> >      what we would consider to be lower priority apps
such as
> Fish
> >      or XBill.  Also, Evolution will be on the supported
> Gnome CD
> >      regardless of whether it is considered to be a Gnome
> Core App or
> >      an Extra App.
> >
> >   2. The second CD will be unsupported Gnome which
consists
> of:
> >
> >      - Any core apps omitted on the first CD
> >      - Extra Apps such as Gimp, Dia, and SodiPodi.
> >
> >      These apps will be built for Solaris but our testing
> will only
> >      extend to a very quick smoke test.
> >
> >      They will be shipped with whatever level of
> documentation and
> >      translation exists.  These apps will not be
supported
> through
> >      the standard Sun support channels.
> >
> > At later releases after Gnome 2.0, we would expect to
migrate
> apps
> > and applets over time from the unsupported CD to the
> supported CD.
> >

> > Printed Documentation
> > ---------------------
> >
> > For the supported Gnome, we will write the following
> documentation
> > for Gnome 2.0.
> >
> >  - A Gnome User Guide of approx 400 pages covering
Desktop,
> Panels
> >    Windows, Nautilus, Help, Evolution, and the Control
> Center.  It
> >    will have paragraph descriptions of the supported
> apps/applets
> >    but we leave the full description to their Online Help
> reference
> >    manuals.
> >
> >    While there seems to be a preference in the GDP to go
for
> general
> >    books on Gnome, for example a comprehensive O'Reilly
> publication,
> >    Solaris users will expect a user guide that documents
> exactly the
> >    product that we ship.
> >
> >    While we hope the guide will be neutral (i.e. without
> references
> >    to flavors of Unix, including Solaris), it will not be
> agnostic.
> >    It will not mention Linux, KDE, window managers other
than
> >    Sawfish, File Managers other than Nautilus, or any app
> that is
> >    not shipped as part of our supported Gnome release.
> >
> >  - A CDE to Gnome Migration Guide, to convert CDE
preferences
> >    equivalent Gnome preferences.
> >
> >  - A Developers Overview Guide which for Gnome 2.0 will
be
> slim,
> >    and will indicate developer issues specific to
Solaris,
> and will
> >    direct users to the Gnome web pages for generic
developer
> >    information.
> >
> >  - A Sys Admin Guide.  We are not yet sure what should be
in
> this,
> >    but know we need one!
> >
> > All the printed documentation will be written in SolBook
> since this
> > is the format mandated by the Sun Publications Group.
SolBook
> is
> > a subset of of DocBook V3.1, and the guides will be
available
> to the
> > GDP in DocBook format.
> >

> > Online Help
> > -----------
> >
> > At the moment Gnome Online Help is almost without
> translation, and
> > we expect to have to do much of the translation
ourselves, at
> least
> > for Gnome 2.0. This is a big effort. Clearly, for
consistency
> and cost,
> > we would like to leverage parts of our User Guide and its
> translations
> > for general Gnome Help such as the Panel Manual, the
Window
> Manager
> > Manual or the Control Center Manual.
> >
> > For other applets and applications, there are accepted
issues
> with
> > the Online Help reference manuals that prevent us from
using
> and
> > translating the reference manuals in their current form.
The
> most
> > crucial of the issues concerning the Online Help
reference
> manuals are:
> >
> >   - There is no consistent style and terminology.
> >   - There is no editorial and approval process.
> >   - They were not written for translatability, and
clearly
> will be
> >     difficult and very costly to translate.
> >   - They include statements regarding bug status and
support
> channels
> >     that do not hold true for Sun.
> >
> > The GDP are now addressing the need for style guides and
> approval
> > processes. However, to meet the requirements of our users
in
> the
> > likely Gnome 2.0 timescale, we need to embark internally
on a
> > reworking of the existing Online Help reference manuals
that
> will be
> > part of our supported Gnome release, to ensure
consistency
> and
> > translatability.
> >
> > In the post-Gnome 2.0 timeframe, we hope to be able to
merge