Re: usability testing (was Re: Documentation development processes.)

Hi John
Apologies for the late response, but I would just like to
highlight that funding to translate into all 9 languages is
still a concern.   We are currently investigating all options.

Aoife

> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:13:44 +0000 (GMT)
> From: John Sheehan <John Sheehan ireland sun com>
> Subject: Re: usability testing (was Re: Documentation
development processes.)
> To: gnome-doc-list gnome org, jfleck inkstain net
>

> Hi John,
>
> First let me reintroduce myself. I work in Desktop Ops in Sun
with
> overall responsibility for release engineering and
documentation for
> Gnome on Solaris.  Although I have management responsibility
for the
> Gnome on Solaris documentation strategy, I am not on the
Gnome Style
> Team as one of the earlier mails on this thread may have lead
you to
> believe, so Pat brought your following question to my
attention:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:25:36 -0700, John Fleck wrote:
> >
> > This would be great - the things you learn will then be
able to feed
> > back into our work. But I'm confused. This makes it sound
as though
> > Sun may be packaging its own, different Gnome
documentation? Or are
> > you talking here about simply doing such testing on *any*
piece of
> > documentation that's part of a piece of Gnome being shipped
by Sun?

> Your question is pertinent, and we would like to share our
documentation
> strategy ideas with the gnome-doc-list alias.
>
> Attached is a documentation strategy outline regarding the
Gnome on

***********

> Sun Documentation Strategy for the Gnome Desktop
>
> We have only just formulated our approach as to how we might
provide
> Gnome documentation that fully meets the expectations of our
Solaris users.
> The documentation strategy matches the manner in which Sun is
planning to
> release the Gnome desktop on Solaris.
>
> Gnome on Solaris Release Strategy
> -----------------------------------
>
> For the next major release of Solaris we expect to ship Gnome
2.0 as the
> Solaris desktop.  Sun will probably ship Gnome on 2 CDs:
>
>   1. The primary CD will be what we call supported Gnome and
>      consists of packages that are:
>
>        - Fully integrated with Solaris
>        - Thoroughly tested on Solaris.
>        - Documented in a consistent style.
>        - Translated 100% into 9 languages (Swedish, French
>          German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, and
Simplified
>          and Traditional Chinese
>        - Fully supported by Sun in the field through the
normal
>          Sun support channels
>
>      The supported Gnome release may not correspond to the
community's
>      core Gnome but it should be close.  If we omit community
core
>      packages it may be because they do not apply to Solaris,
for
>      example gfloppy, or we do not have the resources to
translate
>      what we would consider to be lower priority apps such as
Fish
>      or XBill.  Also, Evolution will be on the supported
Gnome CD
>      regardless of whether it is considered to be a Gnome
Core App or
>      an Extra App.
>
>   2. The second CD will be unsupported Gnome which consists
of:

>      - Any core apps omitted on the first CD
>      - Extra Apps such as Gimp, Dia, and SodiPodi.
>
>      These apps will be built for Solaris but our testing
will only
>      extend to a very quick smoke test.
>
>      They will be shipped with whatever level of
documentation and
>      translation exists.  These apps will not be supported
through
>      the standard Sun support channels.
>
> At later releases after Gnome 2.0, we would expect to migrate
apps
> and applets over time from the unsupported CD to the
supported CD.

> Printed Documentation
> ---------------------
>
> For the supported Gnome, we will write the following
documentation
> for Gnome 2.0.
>
>  - A Gnome User Guide of approx 400 pages covering Desktop,
Panels
>    Windows, Nautilus, Help, Evolution, and the Control
Center.  It
>    will have paragraph descriptions of the supported
apps/applets
>    but we leave the full description to their Online Help
reference
>    manuals.
>
>    While there seems to be a preference in the GDP to go for
general
>    books on Gnome, for example a comprehensive O'Reilly
publication,
>    Solaris users will expect a user guide that documents
exactly the