usability...

Hi bex,

Thanks for your interest in testing Gnome documentation. The checks that you
refer to in your mail are more in the way of understandability and completeness
verification checks than a usability test. A typical usability test would
consist of, for example, a tester setting a user a number of defined tasks. The
tester then observes what actions the user takes in trying to fulfill the tasks,
and what obstacles the user comes up against. The observer can then make
recommendations about how specific tasks are described and any improvements we
can make in how we present information about those tasks. Another typical
usability test would be a navigation test, for example you ask a user to find
specific items of information in a manual, and measure how long the user takes
to find the items. You also ask the user to rate how easy or difficult it was to
find the information. This can help us to improve indexing, or suggest other
ways of flagging information. Ideally all these tests should be run on several
users, and a report published so that the findings can be used in future
revisions of that piece of documentation.

Having said all that, formal understandability and completeness verification
checks are excellent, indeed invaluable, exercises and we should try to include
these activities. It's just that I would like to differentiate these checks from
usability testing.

Pat