Re: themes for GNOME2 docs

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 10:58:23AM +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:40:36AM -0800 or thereabouts, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> > Ah ha! Now these are the sort of arguments that seem reasonable to me
> > against using special effects, esp the one about confusing the user. I
> > would suggest adding these comments to the style guide instead of a
> > plain 'dont do this' as this will give some view of the reasoning behind
> > doing things a certain way.
>
> Never mind confusing the user. What about confusing the documentor?
> I have read the entire thread and still don't know.
>
> What is a drop shadow?

It's a faux shadow designed to make the image appear to "hover" over
the background, onto which it therefore casts a "shadow". It is visually
nice when done well, but just as often it is annoying. It doesn't seem
appropriate for a screenshot, where you want a plain exposition of what
the screen looks like in real use, imho.

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

We are afraid of Bill Gates. And Bill Gates is afraid of us.
	--Sony Vice President Masayoshi Morimoto