Re: themes for GNOME2 docs

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Chris Lyttle wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2001, Kevin Breit wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 01:05, Dan Mueth wrote:
> >
> >     As for screenshot decorations (eg. drop shadows), I think they look really
> >     nice but make the screenshot process *much* more complicated and
> >     time-consuming.  It also makes it very difficult to localize since
> >     translators are busy enough translating po files.  When they find out we
> >     have lots of new XML documentation and screenshots for them to localize
> >     too, they will certainly not feel like firing up the GIMP for each of
> >     hundreds of screen shots.  So, sadly, I think we have to keep it simple.
> > Why  don't we script out the dropshadow effect (script-fu) and then
> > people just run a script, which does the effect?
> >
> That's what it does now (ie the dropshadow effect is a standard script-fu
> in gimp). I think dan was trying to avoid having to use Gimp at all. I
> personally use Gimp for my screenshots so its not hard to add the
> dropshadow tho I can appreciate that others may not want to.

If we can make it very simple for people, then we can certainly consider
adding special effects.  By very simple, I'm thinking of a command-line
script which people can run: gdp-fancify input.png output.png   I'm
guessing we could use the GIMP from a script, although I haven't done it.
Once we have the script, we could even make it into a Nautilus script so
that people can 'fancify' their screenshots with a click or two in
Nautilus.  Are we sure we actually want to have special effects?

Screenshots with callouts will always require more work since you have to
go into some GUI application to create the lines and labels.  We will have
to consider what the simplest solution to this is.

Dan