Style Guide Localization Question?

Hi there!  I'm finally getting around to reading the Style Guide (I
know, a bit slow), in preparation for some more work on the GDP
Handbook.  I've gotten to the section titled "How to Write for
Translation". I'm reading the first table there, which is titled "Use of
gerunds" (thankfully with a definition, else I'd be completely lost!).
The fourth exception states "You can use the gerund for the adjective
following, when you introduce a list or a procedure."  The word
"following" has been emphasized (gar, pathetic HTML representation, if
only I could select that word, and find out why it was emphasized...
Nope, no clue, just <emphasis>).  Could someone (Pat?) explain this a
bit more?  Thanks, and sorry about the ramble,
	Greg