Re: Where we'll put docs for control-center

On 11 Aug 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2001 10:32:39 -0400, Aaron Weber wrote:
> > Sasha:
> > "help" and "figures" it shall be, then.
> > Uh, I don't have to change all the old ones, with "doc" and "fig", do I?
>

> You don't have to, no.  But these docs do need to be moved, and it's not
> really that big of a task.  A fair bit of it should be done via CVS
> surgery, so histories and such are preserved.  Here's a quick and dirty
> rundown, as I remember from working with Dan on this.
>
> 1) Find docs that are in docs and images that are in figs
> 2) create new help and help/figures directories, and cvs add them
> 3) email list of directories who's contents need to be -copied- to
> cvsmaster gnome org, or to myself, gleblanc linuxweasel com  IRC works
> too, I'm usually around, but most of the other people capable of CVS
> surgery aren't
> 4) get a reply from cvsmaster that the copies are complete, and confirm
> by updates your sources from CVS (-d flag is needed)
> 5) change Makefile.am to point to the new directories
> 6) remove the contents of the old directories

This sounds right to me too.  Note that you need to update the
configure.in file as well.  You should also do a normal build and then do
a make dist and build an RPM to make sure you have restored the module to
a working state.

What I've done in the past is to merely be annoyed by doc/ and docs/
directories, but not change them because I have enough other work to do.
I do go through this routine for changing fig/ to figures/, because
otherwise you have to modify the sgmldocs.make file.  While changing this
isn't too hard, it is lame because the next time the master sgmldocs.make
file gets updated and we want to copy it into about 20 GNOME modules, we
don't want to have to do these small tweaks to compensate for people using
different figure directory names.

BTW: The two suggested names "figures/" and "help/" are tucked away in the
GDP Handbook.  The choice of "help/" is made to mirror where our SGML help
documents typically get installed, under $prefix/share/gnome/help, as
opposed to under $prefix/share/doc where most applications install their
README and such.

Dan