Re: Move to XML, new converter to HTML etc

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 03:12:18PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
[Removed a bunch of stuff I agree with ]
> On 12 Apr 2001 05:25:00 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >  The things which need specific focus are:
> >  1/ how do we store the XML Docbook DtD and XSL stylesheet (the bulk
> >     of it should be shared with the KDE guys IMHO).
>
> This isn't a GNOME issue, is it?  We shouldn't need to ship the DocBook
> DTD, nor the base stylesheets.  We -DO- need to ship our customized
> stylseheet.

  right we need to push this forward at the distro level, and sync
with at least KDE on the matter ...

> >  2/ add a catalog support to the XSLT command line or library so
> >     that formating docs don't go to the network to ftech those.
>
> Erp, yes, that would be really nice.  One of these days I'm going to
> figure out why the flame XML requires a URI instead of being able to
> work with FPIs properly.

  because URI scales and can be uniquely designed without hitting
a single registry bottelneck (it uses the DNS one's)

> >  3/ customize if needed the default XSLT stylesheets from Norman Walsh
> >     to give a Gnome look and feel (since XSLt has an import mechanism
> >     this can still be done while sharing 95% of the default
> > stylesheets)
>
> Yeah, this is definately one that we need to do, although it's a
> "programming" project which we can take a few months on.  As soon as I
> get my other project under way, I want to do this, unless somebody beats
> me to it.  (not that I'll complain, I'll just have to find another
> excuse to learn XSL).

  I received KDE's package of stylesheet, maybe I can dig it out
to provide it as an input,

> Ok, I think that's enough out of me, anybody know anything that I've
> neglected to mention here?

  Time needed to do it :-), the harder is synchronization issues (with
KDE, with distros, etc ...)

Daniel