Re: gnome-db2html2 and i18n

* Karl Eichwalder (keichwa gmx net) wrote at 03:04 on 08/09/00:
> Ali Abdin <aliabdin aucegypt edu> writes:
>
> > * Alexander Kirillov (kirillov math sunysb edu) wrote at 17:59 on 25/08/00:
>
> > > 2. Same for navigation labels "next", "prev" (when they are created)
> >
> > Okay - thanks for pointin this out - this should go into the Eazel bugtracker
> > :)
>
> Just parse dbl1*.{dsl,ent} coming with the stylesheets ;)

I am beginning to think that the best solution is to just i18n the strings and
have them translated. It is deffinately the easiest method.

Usually a user would just type 'help:appname' (or click on it) and it would go
to the doc based on his locale (and gnome-db2html2 would be translated
according to his locale).

Theoretically, a user could change his locale in between the time he clicks on
'help:appname' and the time gnome-db2html2 is invoked - but I doubt anybody
could do it that fast.

The only other problem is is a user does something like
'help:/path/to/file.sgml' - say file.sgml is in English and the user's locale
is French. Again, the number of people doing this is not common.

There also arises another possible issue - I think that if the document in the
person's locale is not found it defaults to English (the 'C' locale) - This
would be the most common problem, and a person would see the doc in English,
but the 'Copyright/Next/Prev/Figure/etc.' in their own locale - Awkward.

Of course - the other solution is to solve the i18n problem 'properly' or
possibly try to do our own implementation. I unfortunately do not have the
time (or incentive) to do this. So, if somebody wishes to work on this please
do.

Regards,
Ali