Re: (sgml vs XML)+indexing

> So Solbook is based on DocBook SGML? Then why is Laszlo advocating for us to
> switch to DocBook XML instead of our current DocBook SGML?
Everything I know about this is in the first mail from this thread. Have
you read that?

> I can understand this, but I do not think that it is really appropriate
> for us to use Solbook.
>
> DocBook has been agreed upon by many Linux projects (Linux Documentation
> Project, KDE, GNOME, (its being used for kernel API documentation). It
> wouldn't be in GNOME's best interest to say "We shall switch to SolBook now",
> even though we made a commitment to DocBook.
I dont understand how this came up. I never said we should use SolBook,
I never even mentioned SolBook in my thread starting email.

> 1) What is the difference between DocBook and SolBook (we can try to
> accomodate SolBook)? Can you make some sample SolBook files available (John
> Fleck has been doing extensive documentation testing for me, and from this
> testing i add stuff to gnome-db2html2)
I dont know, I am not a doc writer. There are people on this list from
Sun (and maybe others) who could answer this to you.

[snip]
> By the way - isn't the ScrollKeeper project supposed to /solve/ the indexing
> problem (by indexing documentation Metadata)?
No:-) It never wanted to index documentation metadata. It wanted to
index the sgml docs. So if those docs would be in XML then we would get
an OpenSource JAVA based search engine that would index the Gnome docs.
This is what this thread is about as far as I am concerned.

Laszlo