Re: (sgml vs XML)+indexing

Eric Baudais wrote:

> I think that the conversion from SolBook to DocBook wouldn't be too hard.  If
> SolBook is a subset of DocBook it should use about the same tags, so the
> conversion shouldn't be too hard.

Solbook is SGML based and is indeed a subset of Docbook, so it's simple to
convert to Docbook, but not in the opposite direction since the GDP use
certain inline tags which are not in SolBook.

> I would strongly advise against changing all the GDP docs to SolBook or any other
> DTD because that would be too much work for not much gain.  If it came to surface
> that there are problems with the DocBook DTD, we can bring them up with OASIS.  I
> would much rather see the GDP help improve DocBook (which is actively developed)
> then switch to another DTD.

Sun is extending SolBook to include the extra inline tags used by the GDP.
And we are creating filters for the metadata to allow us to flip a doc in
DocBook to SolBook and back again.  The reason we want to work internally
in Solbook is that all the back-end corporate tools for editing, publishing,
and localisation are based on the SolBook DTD.  But with the filters we can
issue and exchange Gnome docs in DocBook.

- John