Re: (sgml vs XML)+indexing

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, John Sheehan wrote:

> Solbook is SGML based and is indeed a subset of Docbook, so it's simple to
> convert to Docbook, but not in the opposite direction since the GDP use
> certain inline tags which are not in SolBook.
>
> Sun is extending SolBook to include the extra inline tags used by the GDP.
> And we are creating filters for the metadata to allow us to flip a doc in
> DocBook to SolBook and back again.  The reason we want to work internally
> in Solbook is that all the back-end corporate tools for editing, publishing,
> and localisation are based on the SolBook DTD.  But with the filters we can
> issue and exchange Gnome docs in DocBook.

John - It would be most helpful if you could take a look at our list of
DocBook tags that are currently supported by gnome-db2html2, which is the
tool in Nautilus that converts DocBook to html on the fly for rendering in
the new help browser.

If there are tags that you use regularly that are not yet supported but
you would like to see supported, let me know, so we can get to work on
adding any support needed. We'd like to make gnome-db2html2 as generally
useable as possible.

Cheers,

John