RE: a question of style

May I quote Donald Knuth, from his home page:

http://Sunburn.Stanford.EDU/~knuth/email.html

<quote>

Email (let's drop the hyphen)

[...]

A note on email versus e-mail

Newly coined nonce words are often spelled with a hyphen, but the hyphen
disappears when the words become widely used. For example, people used to
write ``non-zero'' and ``soft-ware'' instead of ``nonzero'' and
``software''; the same trend has occurred for hundreds of other words. Thus
it's high time for everybody to stop using the archaic spelling ``e-mail''.
Think of how many keystrokes you will save in your lifetime if you stop now!
The form ``email'' has been well established in England for several years,
so I am amazed to see Americans being overly conservative in this regard.
(Of course, ``email'' has been a familiar word in France much longer than in
England --- but for an entirely different reason.)

</quote>

If I know anyone being picky about style, it's DEK. So save all the
keystrokes you would waste in discussing this topic!

Dennis van Dok