Re: Improving the docs...

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 HdV DTO TUDelft NL wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Dan Mueth wrote:
>
> > Which document(s) did you download?  I am guessing you are referring to
> > the GNOME 1.2 Users Guide.
>
> I grabbed them from the site using a spider. The version is 1.2 indeed.
>
> > Plain text would probably be the easiest way to list these improvements.
> > Our original format is SGML, not HTML, so plain text would be easier to
> > merge back than HTML.  Perhaps you could take before and after snippits of
> > each sentence you change so we can just search through the docs by hand.
>
> If you would be willing to send me the originals, I could edit those and
> send you the "corrected" files plus the diffs.

The Users Guide was created by merging most of the online documents that
accoompany each GNOME application.  Thus the only real "originals" are the
many documents (probably about 50) in different places stored in
CVS. Your corrections should be merged into all of these files. If a new
Users Guide is produced in the future, it will be created by merging the
latest versions of these "originals" together.  Plus these corrections
need to be placed in the online documents anyway.

If you would like to merge your changes into these files, you should use
anonymous CVS to check out each document and then modify it.  The DocTable
(http://www.gnome.org:65348/gdp//doctable/doctable.php3) can help you find
the location of the SGML files in CVS. The GDP Handbook
(http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/handbook.html) can help you learn
how to do anonymous CVS.

> > Thanks for your help.  Having a second or third pair of eyes reading over
> > each document always helps out.
>
> Glad to help. The product I see is worth it. With that I mean the
> documentation, although I suspect I will like Gnome itself too, the team
> did a great job writing it.

Thanks :)

Dan