Re: CVS branches

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 09:14:56AM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 01:39:40AM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:
> >
> > Just in case anybody isn't completely clear on how the CVS branches work
> > (I wasn't until a few minutes ago):
> >
> > gnome-xxx-1-2 are the current stable branches
> > HEAD is what will become -1-4
> >
> > Generally, any stable doc commits should thus go into both the -1-2 branch
> > and the HEAD branch.  We are reasonably close to GNOME 1.4, so if anybody
> > omits committing to the -1-2 branch, it is ok.  But make sure everything
> > at least goes into HEAD.
> >

> Whoah. Lost me here. Could you explain, for those of us who have not
> worked with multiple CVS branches, how we do this?

/me taps the lectern and waits for quiet. There will be no handouts in
this course, so please all take notes as we go ... :-)

I'll assume you have a current copy of the cvs tree for whatever module
you're documenting. Unless you've done anything special, you will have
the main branch, which is called HEAD.

To alter the -1-2 branch you need to have a copy of it checked out. The
simplest way to do this (i.e. the one that requires the least amount of
network traffic) is to copy your current version to another directory.
Let's say the original was in ~/FOO. You copy it to ~/FOO-1.2.

Then change to the FOO-1.2 directory and we are going to "update" this
to be the -1-2 branch. This is done (from inside FOO-1.2) using

	cvs update -r gnome-FOO-1-2

The -r flag tells it to check out the version with that tag.

Now you can make the changes to the FOO-1.2 directory and any time you
do a cvs commit from there it will be put on the gnome-FOO-1-2 branch.

Note that in the above I was assuming you wanted to keep a copy of the
current tree as well (I use a modem, so if I've checked out HEAD once, I
don't want to bounce back and forwards between HEAD and a branch in the
same directory -- I'll keep copies of both). If you, instead, just check
out the branch in your current directory, you can go back to HEAD by
doing

	cvs update -A

The -A flag says to remove all "sticky tags" (the tags used above are
sticky, in the sense that you will stay on that branch until further
notice).

I hope this helps a little bit (or, at the least, does not confuse too
much).

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm commsecure com au
CommSecure Pty Ltd