Re: GNOME vs. Gnome

On 2 Oct 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> > > So, who wants s/GNOME/Gnome/, and who wants to s/Gnome/GNOME/?
> >
> > I'd vote "Gnome," for the reasons Aaron cited.
>
> I prefer "Gnome" as well; I try to use "GNOME" to be anally correct,
> but it gets pretty hard to read if used too many times.

Well, it sounds like lots of people agree that technically it is
"GNOME" but that "Gnome" is better.  We have a few options:

1) Do nothing. ie. Continue to use "GNOME" and "Gnome" interchangibly.
2) Decide to use "GNOME" everywhere because it is correct, even though
most people agree it is harder on the eyes and points out that GNOME is an
acronym for something which most users will never understand.
3) Decide to change the name from "GNOME" to "Gnome" and use
"Gnome" everywhere.
4) Some odd mixture where we use "GNOME" under one set of circumstances
and "Gnome" under other circumstances.

Right now we are doing both 1 and 4.  The web pages and press releases
religiously use "GNOME".  The media typically uses "Gnome".  And
applications in the Main Menu are split almost 50/50.

Dan