RE: XSL/XSLT (was Re: A thought:)

IE 5 is capable of this, although it's support is broken.

> 2) The server applies an XSL style sheet to an XML document
> to transform it
> to some other format (generally HTML) and sends the
> transformed document to
> the client (Web browser).

Cocoon and gnome-db2html2 are here.

> 3) A third program transforms the original XML document into
> some other
> format (often HTML) before the document is placed on the
> server. Both server
> and client only deal with the post-transform document.

db2html is here.

> But, we can elminiate the need for gnome-db2html2 entirely if
> Mozilla supports
> XSL :) (we would now fall under approach #1)

Yep, definitely what we're looking forward too.  jrb wrote the beginnings of
gnome-db2html2 as a hack to see how hard it would be to do, not as any sort
of a final or lasting solution.

> This also has ramifications for the ScrollKeeper project. For
> DocBook XML
> documents it can just apply an XSL stylesheet and return HTML
> for example
> (this if for the "server-side" part of ScrollKeeper) - that
> would fall under
> #2 I think. This would be good for ScrollKeeper because it
> wouldn't need to
> use some GNOME specific, semi-broken DocBook -> HTML
> hack^H^H^H^Hconverter.

How does that have anything to do with Scrollkeeper?  That sounds like a
help-browser issue, not a metadata issue to me.
	Greg