Proto-might-be GNOME FAQ update.

Note cross-posting. I have not set a reply-to, but in the interest of
lessening bandwidth, I think reply to me with the "obvious" things,
(like "no, wrong!") and docs list for bitching about jade's behaviour
with <qandaentry id="foo">, <xref linkend id="foo"> and jade's refusal
to play nicely :) If you're not subscribed to the docs list, then
email to docs@gnome.org goes to it too.

For those who didn't know, a couple of us realised that the old
gnomefaq@gnu.org address was going unanswered, and got ourselves
(me, Dave Mason and Julian Missing) added to it. And then thought
perhaps we should do something about it. Dave and Julian were
horribly busy, so I took a look at the current FAQ, failed to
contact more than one of the copyright holders, and decided to
start over. ("It won't take long.." Haha.)

Results are at:
http://roadrunner.swansea.linux.org.uk/~hobbit/GDP/proto-faq.tar.gz (27k)
http://roadrunner.swansea.linux.org.uk/~hobbit/GDP/proto-faq.ps (120k)
Warning: slow modem alert.

I haven't announced it further, in case it says Wrong Things and
Trashes Systems If Applied Internally and so on. I haven't put the
HTML pages there either because, well, sorry, I'm not sure the modem
would appreciate it, and I don't want the bots collecting the results
and making it number one hit on google or something. Must learn
robots.txt file format..

For the tarball you need jade, stylesheets, docbook and sgml-common, then:
tar xvfz proto-faq.tar.gz
db2html proto-faq/gnome-faq.sgml (no special gnome stylesheet or anything)
Start reading at proto-faq/gnome-faq/index.html

It sorely needs input from people who use Caldera, SuSE, *BSD and/or
Solaris. I think I'm alright with the RH-specific stuff. I have been
deluged with Debian equivalents. I have tried to remember that GNOME
runs on more than just Linux, but I don't know enough about the others.
In particular, I have no clue how you use BSD and ports to get GNOME,
for example (do you?).

It is not finished. I am tinkering with the idea of a glossary or an
index (really, I just want the chance to play with DocBook tags I
haven't used yet). But it's at a state where anyone should be able
to look at the DocBook and be able to add things. I intend to add
comments saying who put in what so that this time if it gets
resurrected after a while, people know what came from whom. If it's
alright with people, then hooray. I would like to drop it into CVS,
but I'm not sure of the appropriate place: straight over the current
gnome-docu/gnome-faq/users-faq.sgml? Or what? It's a massive set of
changes, so I thought this is worth checking first.

If you don't have time to read through it all, although I hope devoutly
that someone does, then I have made a list of the particular answers
of which I am least certain. (In fact, two don't yet even exist.) You
should be able to grep for the id tags in the DocBook source. It's a
mere 22, so you can skip the other 39. Um. I may have got a little
carried away. But practically all of these are from my list of "questions
I saw more than once on gnome-list" which I have been saving with the
intention of doing something about it for a while.

I hope this is alright with people. Just to start YAlicence thread,
docs folks: any reason why this shouldn't be FDL'd? The only drawback
is that the changes and list of people will rapidly get very very
large, but oh well :)

Telsa
whatis.sgml
   <qandaentry id="makemoneyfast">
	Is it worth adding a question here about "How can I give GNOME
  	money?" and suggesting GNU/FSF/Gnome Foundation?
platforms.sgml
   <qandaentry id="runson">
	Any more?
   <qandaentry id="no-run-on">
	Any more?
   <qandaentry id="support">
	I have put Helix there since they are in the 'man gnome' page
	as offering support. I don't have a phone number for them,
	though, and I don't know if they're doing it currently or
	whether it's planned. Are there other companies who should go
	here, right now?
   <qandaentry id="windowmanagers">
	Someone suggested I should put Sawfish more prominently and
	recommend it as the "standard" or "default". I am reluctant to
	do this as a "GNOME recommends.." thing because it's my understanding
	that it doesn't and that it's window-manager independent. I
	have recommended it as "lots of people use it, so it's a good
	choice in case you get stuck", mind you :)
installing.sgml
    <qandaentry id="getting-helix">
	Which of the Debian lines is correct?
    <qandaentry id="get-not-helix">
	_Are_ there people who will supply up to date GNOME CDs?
	Gnome Foundation, perhaps? :)
	I am also missing other methods of getting it, I fear.
compiling.sgml
   <qandaentry id="compile-order">
	Already checked and altered twice. Any more? :)
   <qandaentry id="compile-howto">
   <qandaentry id="compile-prefixes">
	Can someone confirm/deny this stuff about whether, when and
	how to use --prefixes?
   <qandaentry id="doublegnome">
	This question no answer.
	Help!
   <qandaentry id="rh-locale-fix">
	Merely unset LOCALES, or LANGUAGE, LANG and LC_ALL?
   <qandaentry id="package-devel">
	I don't know what the correct terminology for "source debs" is,
	and I don't know SuSE's naming convention for -devl/-dev.
starting.sgml
   <qandaentry id="start-from-x">
	Foolproof simple methods which don't break {g|x|k}dm  to do this
	requested.
using.sgml
   <qandaentry id="speedy-gnome">
	Any more?
   <qandaentry id="memory-use">
	Is it okay to link directly to cvs.gnome.org? I can't find it anywhere
	other than in CVS. It is not showing up on developer.gnoe's white
	papers section.
   <qandaentry id="rh61-bug">
	Ideally, knowing which single/few package(s) cause this would be
	better. Any clue?
   <qandaentry id="network-lookup">
	Should they also put their machine in as its own nameserver or
	something?
extras.sgml
   <qandaentry id="package-jobs">
	Are these roughly correct, and are any of these being replaced
	in GNOME 2?
   <qandaentry id="other-unstable">
	What _does_ oaf do, or provide? In simple terms? Please? :)
	Is it going to replace something else?
	Is the description of gconf accurate?
resources.sgml
   <qandaentry id="info-local">
	What are the *BSD and Solaris equivalents of /usr/doc etc?
   <qandaentry id="info-net">
	Where is the RH users' list and why did it take me five minutes
	to locate all the other distros but yet after some years of
	using RH I have not found this yet?
	Are there lists which deal specifically with X newbie/user problems?
	I need more resources. I would like to put useful newsgroups
	(if such things actually exist) there. It has been suggested that
	I include the IRC network most people here use (irc.gimp.net/
	irc.gnome.org etc) but I am not sure how polite it is to direct
	the entire readership of a FAQ to a network that has about six
	servers in total, at least some of which have a fairly low
	maximum connection limit. Whom would I ask about that, and if
	that's a bad idea, what other networks and channels should I
	point people to? irc.openprojects.net? Where?
	Where are resources for getting GNOME to work on less common
	platforms? Even Solaris users post regularly to GNOME list,
	and that's hardly "less common". Where are resources for AIX,
	IRIX and so on?

I already know two questions I forgot: "I can only run GNOME as root,
something breaks when I am a normal account". And "mime.types are
broken except when I run as root." (I don't know the answers to either,
btw.)

Should I add:
	ut8f support in gnome-terminal and its usage?
	gnome-foundation?
	where to give money? :)
	news servers?
	the IRC servers?
	mention of CDE (so the Solaris users

Should I remove anything? I would prefer not to. These are _all_
things I have seen repeatedly on IRC and gnome-list. I have quite
an archive of old gnome-list postings which I have saved for future
FAQ responses :)

Telsa