Re: Contribute

On 24 May 2000 William.Brown@macmillanUSA.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't program at a level to contribute, but I can write, edit, or
> proof read materials.  How does one get started doing this?

You might want to start by taking a look at the GDP web page
(http://www.gnome.org/gdp/) and the GDP Handbook
(http://www.gnome.org/gdp/handbook.html).

In the past few months, we pretty much have each picked applications which
are part of the main packages (gnome-core, gnome-applets, gnome-utils,
etc.) and documented them.  There are still a fair number of core
applications which have not been documented. You can check out the
Documentation Status Table to see which ones need authors:
http://www.gnome.org/gdp/doctable/doctable.php3.  Feel free to find an
application(preferably from the "Core GNOME Applications" section) you'd
like to document, sign up for it on the Status Table, and start writing.

Make sure to grab a template from
(http://www.gnome.org/gdp/templates.html), which will make getting started
with DocBook much easier.

We will soon be releasing GNOME 1.2, which means we will also be shifting
focus around somewhat.  We will be doing a lot of designing for a new
system for GNOME 2.0, creating an indexing and glossary system, etc. This
will be a particularly interesting time to join the GDP, since designing
the new system should be fun.  This will mostly take place on the
gnome-docs mailing list, so make sure to subscribe to the list.

Drop in on the #docs IRC channel at irc.gnome.org sometime and chat with
us.  Most GDP members spend a lot of time on #docs, and it is a pretty fun
group of people.

Dan